APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-09 > 1222671164

From: Beth Gay <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Incorrect Online Information
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 01:52:44 -0500

Jennifer:

I recommend contacting the person first in a friendly manner and offer
to exchange information. Lately with one family in particular when I
just posted corrections to a site on a cemetery, although I am not
directly connected; I have been blackballed by the entire family. Some
people do not like to be corrected.

What was lacking in FTM? You said that it did not do what you wanted.
What exactly didn't it do? That would be helpful in recommending a program.

Best,
Beth Gay
Auburn, Alabama

Kirsten Bowman wrote:
> Jennifer:
>
> I think it's impossible to straighten out the family history tangles on the
> Internet in a single lifetime. Two things you can do, though, are these:
> (1) Post your own information online with thorough source notes and, (2)
> when you see trees with messages inviting corrections, write to the owners
> and offer your evidence (delicately). Some people will welcome your
> corrections, others will ignore them. It can take years (literally) for
> your efforts to have an effect, but eventually you'll begin to see results.
>
> Kirsten

This thread: