APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-09 > 1222685194

From: "Pat Buchannon" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Incorrect Online Information
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 05:46:34 -0500

Jennifer,

This is a problem I've run into. I have been working on my family tree (all
branches) for about 30 years. I had one line on my mom's side that I was
working on with a cousin of mine. We ran into a dead end on our
gg-grandfather and are still unable to prove the last thing that we've found
as far as a connection to us. However, another cousin of ours decided this
year that she was going to work on her tree, and this included our dead-end
line. In 2 weeks (yes, I said 2 weeks) she had "traced us back to the
1200s" and we are now relatives of Pocohontas. Right. Not only are there
errors, major ones and small blunders, but she has this thing on Ancestry.
We have emailed her about this, and she refuses to answer our objections.
I'm working on putting the tree as my other cousin and I have found it on
there, but I just can't help but worry about those looking for ancestors
within the lines and seeing the discrepancies between the two.

I, too, would like to know how to let inquirers know that things like these
are errors.

Pat