APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-09 > 1222708580

From: "Bonnie Kohler" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Incorrect Information
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:16:20 -0400

Joan wrote:

Today, on WorldConnect and Ancestry you will find quite a few family trees
listing Ann JASPER as the wife of my ancestor Capt. William CRISPIN (based
on
the INcorrect article) and about an equal number of trees including my own
showing Rebecca BRADSHAW as his wife (based upon the corrected 1929
article).

This just goes to show that once incorrect data is placed in print it is
even harder to eradicate (impossible I'd say) then information on the
Internet
which can actually for the most part be removed and edited quickly. On
RootsWeb user notes can be added with corrections. With books and
magazines -- this
isn't possible. Once in print--always in print.

I agree with Joan about editing online information. My experience has been
with RootsWeb's WorldConnect. The fact that I can upload an updated GEDCOM
to my same family tree file whenever I want keeps my information correct and
current. I wish more people would upload their GEDCOMS to WorldConnect. I
elect not to allow people to download any part of my file. If they want to
copy it, they must do it by hand.

Bonnie Dunphy Kohler
Member, APG Fla. Chapter

This thread: