APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-09 > 1222725353

From: "P. McGregor" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Incorrect Online & printed Information
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:55:53 -0400

I would love to hear from anyone who had discovered discrepancies in my
work. For one thing it would mean someone else out there had an interest in
the same lines as me and therein lies an opportunity to exchange info.

But there's another side to this - and that is actually getting your wrong
stuff removed from web pages. I know in my early days of compiling
genealogies a cousin and I made an erroneous leap in connecting our gg
grandfather with a line in Ireland (and then to make it worse, I posted it
to a website). I have been trying for several years to get the site owner to
remove it. So far, I've had no luck. Even more difficult is trying to
remember all the places we've posted with messages which we later discover
aren't totally correct.

Now, my rule of thumb is to never post anything until I can prove it or else
post it as a possibility, clearly noted. That now has been added to my 10
most important genealogy dos and don'ts.

Just my 2 cents (Canadian)
Patty in Ottawa
member Ontario Chapter APG

This thread: