APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-10 > 1222876359

From: "Charles S. Mason, Jr." <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Incorrect Information
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:52:39 -0400

Barbara,

I use the IGI and the Ancestral File like I would any other secondary
source. I check the information found there with other sources. My first
find many years ago in the IGI was the marriage of my second great
grandparents. I found a book that said they were married but gave no place
or date for the marriage. A search of the IGI found their marriage and the
court clerk's records where it was recorded. When I ordered the film of the
records, I found the marriage recorded in the clerk's record book (a
derivative source) and the piece of paper the minister recorded the marriage
on (an original source) and sent to the clerk's office. From that IGI
record I found two records of the marriage. The IGI was extremely helpful
in finding these ancestors, when I had no idea where they lived in NJ.

That said I have not found a great deal of information on my ancestors. If
you have no clue where they might be located, it can give you a starting
point like the marriage records did. I found another of my families and if
I believed what is in the Ancestral File, my third great grandmother had her
first child when she was six years old.

You just have to carefully evaluate the information you find in these two
sources before you use it. The IGI and Ancestral File are by no means
perfect, but they can still be very useful resources.

Chuck Mason
Fairfax, VA