APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-10 > 1223296395

From: Katherine Flynn <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Help locating death certificate for James Allen Coker inMaryland
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 05:33:15 -0700 (PDT)

Dear All,

I second the analysis of others: if after two+ years and three states' vital records searches this death has not been found using the death date (which apparently is only written on a piece of paper) then another tack is called for.  [Of course, it is preferable to leave the date option more open, i.e. 1940-1945, in a request and we do not know what was asked for.  However, Maryland death indices are on-line and I assume researchers have gone through those.]

Mention was made of the grave being seen by brothers.  Under what circumstances? A funeral?  Maybe more interviewing in those branches of the family might elicit more details of this elusive cemetery and the visit - was it during WWII, after?.  No mention is made of whether the man had a new family and if anything was known of them.  If anything is known then expand the search to include second spouse, marriage record, and children.  Then work backwards from them.

All the best,
Kathy Flynn

This thread: