APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-11 > 1225751554

From: Chad Milliner <>
Subject: Re: [APG] the coming digital dark age
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 15:32:34 -0700

I have seen this article get linked to and reprinted by various sites all over the Internet during the past week. Unfortunately, the article contains a major factual error: "According to the National Archives Web site by the mid-1970s, only two machines could read the data from the 1960 U.S. Census: One was in Japan, the other in the Smithsonian Institution." NARA's website actually says just the opposite -- that this is an urban legend. http://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/2000/winter/1960-census.html

Given that the article contains such a major blunder, I cannot trust anything else the article says. The author of it was just plain sloppy -- trusting completely some source that SAID what NARA's website said instead of going to NARA's website to actually verify the assertion. Using Google, all that it would have taken the author would have been a couple of minutes to find out that the assertion was completely false.