APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-11 > 1227229514

Subject: [APG] Swedish immigration into Minnesota 1890's
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 20:05:14 EST

(mailto:)

I have been stumped looking for passenger records for my two Swedish
families who immigrated into Duluth, St. Louis County, Minnesota. One family came
1888 and 1889 (Swan Peterson- husband 1st then wife and kids); and the second
patriarch (Oscar Lundgren) came as a single 19 yr old circa 1891.
So the question is: who holds records for ships into Minnesota? I assume
even though they sailed through Canada waters, they never landed and would
not have to pass Canadian customs. If they were handled by US Customs in
Duluth, who has those books? Based on my reading, it looks like the vast majority
of the millions of American midwest immigrants from Sweden came through
Duluth. I've just never seen anyone talking about those immigration records.
Any ideas? Due to the Swedish naming patterns the search for the
naturalizations has also been very frustrating. Too many similar names gives one a
bad set of red-eyes!!

Thanks,
Colin Brooks
Quakertown, PA