APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-12 > 1228249778

Subject: Re: [APG] Mental Hospitals and records
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 12:29:38 -0800 (PST)

I was reaserching a patient at the Texas State Lunatic Asylum in the 1880s and 1890s. The records officer at the succesor, Texas State Hospital, told me he could not release records because of HIPAA laws.

I suggested, did it make a difference that the person had been dead for 112 years. I was told there was not time element to the law. He told me that an administrator of the estate could have the records. A present closest kin can go to a judge and become appointed administrator.

The reocords admin told me to appeal to the Texas Att. Gen through the hosptial office. I did, and the appeal was rejected not by the A.G. but because all other appeals through the hospital to the A.G. were rejected.

So sometimes you just hit a brick wall. I did find several county court records where the person was judged insane and committed to the TX asymlum and waited for the sheriff to transport him. So all was not lost.

Neal McEwen, digging up ancestral bones!

“Family faces are magic mirrors. Looking at people who belong to us, we see the past, present, and future.” Gail Lumet Buckley

This thread: