APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-12 > 1228278136

From: Carolyn Ybarra <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Mental Hospitals and records
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 20:22:16 -0800

Interesting subject. I had a client with an ancestor in a California
mental hospital. There were some records at the state archives,
although I didn't get a clear picture of what exactly was there.
(Isn't it frustrating when a librarian or archivist does a search for
you but it takes multiple emails or phone calls to get the source
references and details, so that you can know what has and has not
been searched?)

The successor hospital that had the main records told me they could
only be released to a doctor. I talked to the staff person long
enough to get the relevant legal article that should be cited when
trying to get these through a doctor (for medical history reasons).
Unfortunately for my curiosity, the client did not want to pursue
this. I would have liked to have gone through the process to find
out how easy or hard it would have been to get the records, and what
they might have contained.

Sometimes local newspapers have references to people being committed
or admitted to mental hospitals, sometimes as part of the court
docket report.

Carolyn

Carolyn Ybarra, Ph.D
Family Research Services