APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-12 > 1229476106

From: "Peggy K. Reeves" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Records Imaging at Ancestry.com -- Was: Chicago MarriageRecords and other LDS databases
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 20:08:26 -0500

NARA researchers have always been able to request to see a document that
is not clear enough to read on-screen. We know what is there because we
can look at the microfilm indexes ourselves. But when new record groups
are scanned from original documents and new indexes to these records are
created by volunteers doing tedious work on a profit deadline (omitting
the more difficult images, or misreading names for lack of experience),
then the record disappears. In other words, how can we know to request
to see the actual document if we can't see it on an index to know that
it exists in the first place? We can't, and that is how records
disappear from our view forever.

I have done a great deal of work with the Civil War pension files. You
are correct that the Navy pensions were very dark on microfilm and
mostly not readable because the original cards were blue. But there are
many more pension card images that were very light on the microfilm (not
Navy pensions) that are just "missing", that your subscribers don't even
know about. You didn't mention those. Which database are those in at
Ancestry? How will we find them when the pension files are all
digitized and we can no longer request them? NARA has plans to make a
larger gift shop out of the present microfilm room, forcing us to be
more dependent on the online images and indexes, and they are likely to
get rid of the old microfilm when they can say that the indexes are
online. Yet we will still hear, as we do now, that there is full access
to everything for everyone, since they have computers on-site with free
subscriptions. Those who aren't on-site to see it really don't know the
truth.

I don't have a problem with folks making a living by selling records, as
long as I can still see those records, too. The records of the Federal
Government already belong to all of us taxpayers. The NARA contracts
allow more access and special favors to one group, with little or no
accountability for accuracy and competency, while limiting what the rest
of us can request and see, and that is a problem. Ancestry could have
carts of pension files--I can only get four in each pull, and I have to
sign them out one at a time. It's certainly not something for us to be
excited about, though I can see why the Ancestry folks would be excited
about it.

Peggy Reeves