APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-12 > 1229571583

From: Jackie King <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Vista
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 21:50:42 -0600

Count many major universities as entities that have not shifted to Vista
as of yet. Much of that is because Vista cannot handle the programs they
use. I work for one that has been trying to migrate for a couple of
years and still hasn't because of the technical problems it presents.

Even the company of which Ancestry, Genealogy.com and others are members
has problems with it in a few instances. For example, the chat program
used by Gen.com for its genealogy.chat used to host 35 - 50 people at a
time. That's been drastically cut because those using Vista either can't
get in or if they do, they can't use many of the chat's functions. Those
of us who use the chat and have not converted can see people entering -
but they can't type if they are using Vista combined with IE7 unless
they go through a couple of permutations. If they use Vista and do make
it into the room, they are extremely limited. It's too bad because,
while the regular chatters do have their fun, for more than ten years
it has been a serious genealogy chat aimed at helping people find the
resources they can use to find their ancestry.

Jackie