APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-12 > 1229744094

From: Ray Beere Johnson II <>
Subject: Re: [APG] download tool
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 19:34:54 -0800 (PST)

--- On Fri, 12/19/08, Dee Dee King, Certified Genealogist
> Yes, thanks, lulu offers the service, but I am searching for
> a tool to add downloads from my own site. There are several
> companies that offer the downloads thru their sites using
> links from your own site. These run from $5 per month to
> $19. Did find one software or plug in, but the description
> was so ambiguous, not sure it's what I want. And if the
> selling points are ambiguous, what will the instructions be
> like?

It isn't a single tool. You'd need a site set up to collect payment information, verify it, and then "unlock" the download. You'd also need to auto-generate receipts so customers could prove their purchase in the event the download failed.
Doing this on your own site is possible. But unless you have a lot of technical knowledge, or employ someone who does, it will not work right and will cause more trouble than it's worth. (Example: there are many tricks for bypassing the payment routines and grabbing the download. Some bots search for files and scrape them automatically.)
I haven't relied on tech support in several years, because I know enough to keep my own (complex - back when I still occasionally called tech support, the techs always choked at how complicated my setup was then, and it is _much_ worse now) system - and I wouldn't even _think_ of trying to make something like this work. I'd be in _way_ over my head - I know just enough to know that. Five or even twenty dollars a month is a _very_ small price to pay for avoiding software costs (yes, there's no doubt an open-source option, but you've got to locate it, download it, and know how to interpret the documentation, which will be heavy on technical detail and limited in "user friendliness") _and_ avoiding the inevitable hassles.
Ray Beere Johnson II

This thread: