APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-01 > 1231552700

From: Elizabeth Whitaker <>
Subject: Re: [APG] What not to do...
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 20:58:23 -0500

Another thought -- ask older relatives to make you a chart or a list,
especially
one that includes the name(s) of female relatives' husband(s). A
great-uncle
put one together at a family mini-reunion about 15 years ago and it has
been unexpectedly useful.

Also, if another family comes up in conversation frequently, especially
between groups of family members, ask about them. If they were neighbors,
see if you can get some info about them: there might not be anything
genealogically useful about the info, but if they're discussed between your
family members, they're important to your family's recent history. (My
paternal grandparents lived next door to another family for a few
years in the 1930s, but the family's kids were and are my
dad's and his siblings' friends. I met most of them when I was a small
child and didn't understand who some of them were and, of course,
couldn't "see" them as children or young adults.)

Elizabeth Whitaker

This thread: