APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-02 > 1234134773

From: Kathy Rippel <>
Subject: [APG] Fwd: Re: Copyright Mavens - 1700s & 1800s documents
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 17:12:53 -0600

I do agree with Peggy that organizations often
mis-use both copyright and HIPAA to deny access.
The issue on the "copyright" quite often is just one of ownership.

I decided to check the chart at
http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/public_domain/,

Copyright Term and the Public Domain in the
United States, 1 January 2009. In the section on
"Never published, never registered works" the answer seems to be quite clear.

However, if you read the footnote, it seems
UNpublished works of days gone by might be
registered since 1978 and still be considered
under copyright until possibly 2047. (Did I read that correctly everyone?)

If so, the issue is whether the Archives has
registered a copyright on those materials, it seems.

Kathy