APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-02 > 1234139359

Subject: Re: [APG] Copyright Mavens - 1700s & 1800s documents
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 19:29:19 EST

Ray-

I've downloaded and shared images within the licensing agreement many times.
I've never seen any claim of copyright to the individual images. ANYONE,
even you if you choose, can "grab" public domain material. Obviously, it other
companies felt it would be worth their time and money to do so--they would. It
isn't quite as simple and inexpensive to do this as you seem to imply with
your use of the term "grab."

As I noted in my previous response, there is a process they developed to
enhance the images and I'm pretty sure they patented that process--but that
effort and the time and money spent in the digitization process, indexing, and
even providing the search functionality and server storage space all costs
money. So while you may say they "grab" the public domain images--there is far
more to it than that or everyone would be doing it.

Joan

In a message dated 2/8/2009 7:19:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,