APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-03 > 1237748245

From: "Jack Butler" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Mormon News
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:57:25 -0400

So the data on FamilySearch.org is rife with errors. Whoop-di-doo and so
what? One of my wife's 1st cousins is a member of the LDS and he submitted
a many-generation gedcom on her family. When my wife and I review it, we
found that it has their grandfather dying on the same day that he was
married - making their own existence difficult to explain. An error, GASP!
Thanks goodness that records created by ethical, knowledgeable or
professional folk don't have such problems, eh?

My great grandfather's tombstone and death certificate both have his birth
year wrong by three years (I suspect that the same daughter provided info
for both). My father's bible (which was filled out by him and his siblings
after his parents were both dead) has his grandmother's maiden name wrong -
it has his great grandmother's maiden name, instead.

In Hancock County, Georgia, the court records show my family with one
spelling in roughly half of the records in which they appear and with
another that is sufficiently different as to make the normal "phonectic
spelling" issue questionable.

On the other hand, the gedcom my wife's cousin submitted to familysearch.org
also has hundreds correct and accurate entries along with its occasional
error. Folks researching my wife's ancestors will find a great deal of help
there - a good road map to where to find and verify the data presented. The
occasional false stop sign or wrong turn does not invalidate the usefulness
of the correct data.

And the death date on my great grandfather's tombstone is accurate and its
existence in a county other than the one where he had lived most of his life
gave me a new place to search for records. And the error on my great
grandmother's maiden name sent me searching for why my father and his
siblings thought the name was correct, which eventually led to a discovery
of several additional generations of my family history.

As for the religious implications - not my bailiwick. Personally, being one
of those folks who thinks that the world and I will stop impacting one
another at my death, I could care less. But everyone has to figure that part
out for themselves.

That said, I am both glad and grateful that the LDS' beliefs caused them to
make vast amounts of information available for free or for very small cost
and I sincerely hope that they keep it up. I am content to take personal
responsibility for seperating the wheat from the chaff in what they
present - just as I do with every other record I touch.

Jack Butler

This thread: