APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-03 > 1238288766

From: "Peggy K. Reeves" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Frustrated with footnote
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 21:06:06 -0400

Well, this discussion does get complicated because there were two
different military districts in Ohio, one for VA soldiers, and one for
the federal government. The federal government had bailed-out VA
because they were unable to pay all of what they had promised to their
soldiers. Part of the deal was VA giving up Ohio (see, government
bail-outs are nothing new)! I don't know all of the details of that,
but VA initially gave out bounty land in what is now KY (KY having been
part of VA at the time). When that bounty land district in KY was given
out, VA issued, through the federal government, land in the portion of
Ohio designated as the VA military district. All of the history of it
and the specifics of it could be a topic in itself, and I am not the
expert.

If I am looking for Revolutionary soldiers, I do check the Federal Land
Series books to see if a warrant is mentioned. With a warrant number, I
can then see if there is any paperwork that survived with regard to that
bounty land number. There usually isn't, but sometimes you can get
lucky. Some states gave out their own bounty land, and knowing where
those military districts are is helpful. If you are researching someone
in middle TN in the very early 1800s, for example, you would suspect
that the male ancestor may have been a NC soldier. There were definite
patterns of migration based on bounty land warrants.

I agree with Jackie. The point I was making is that there are a lot of
ways to get around a problem. Trying to make something "fit" with
internet-only records is sometimes frustrating, when there are easier
ways to get around it. Before the internet, we still found these
records. They were still available, we just had to get them a different
way. Since the majority of Revolutionary soldiers were not pensioned,
it makes sense to consult an index first and see if there was a
pension. If so, then you can figure out how to access the documents
that you want to see.

Peggy Reeves