APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-04 > 1238871552

From: "Mary E. Petty - Heirlines, Inc" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Ancestry and professional genealogist project
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 12:59:12 -0600

Several Months ago I met in person with Ancestry during the development of this new program. After talking with them for hours about Professional Genealogy Research Services and the need for qualifiers that build the profession and establish the practitioner standards, ethics and methodology, require accountability by the practitioner and the consumer, and protect the consumer, the practitioner, and the profession, I left feeling that our quasi-profession was a ripe goose for the plucking. I have not received an invitation to participate. Nor has James W. Petty, AG, CG, B.A.(History), B.A. (Genealogy) and 40 year full time career practitioner in "climbing the family tree professionally since 1969". Makes you wonder how Ancestry qualifies who is one of the "nation's top genealogists". Then again, they are not looking for professionally-qualified practitioners, only "genealogists."

I say again to the career practitioners on this list, when are we going to professionalize Professional Genealogy Research Services and create a sovereign profession? Texas is having their say. Ancestry is having their say. The Federal Government is having their say. I do not believe the destiny of Professional Genealogy Research Services should be left in the hands of any such entities. It is time the career practitioner comes out from under the umbrella and forms a sovereign profession with all the qualifying hallmarks of professionalism. Before we loose all of our feathers! And the consumer is only left with a cooked goose of "genealogists".

Submitted by:

Mary E. Petty, B.A. (History), B.A. (Genealogy)
Vice President of Heirlines Family History & Genealogy, Inc.
Heirlines®
www,heirlines.com

Member, Association of Professional Genealogists

The Heirlines® Service Mark, “Climbing the Family Tree Professionally Since 1969”™, “Ancestors are the People of History. Do you know who your Ancestors are? Let the Professionals at Heirlines Family History and Genealogy help you find your ancestry”™, and Certified Family Trees ™ are the sole property of HEIRLINES FAMILY HISTORY & GENEALOGY, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

CG and Certified Genealogist are Service Marks of the Board for Certification of Genealogists used under license after periodic evaluations by the Board. CG (sm) used by Genealogists who consistently meet ethical and competency standards in accord with peer-reviewed evaluations every five years.

The ICAPGenSM service mark and the Accredited Genealogist® and the AG® certification marks are the sole property of the International Commission for the Accreditation of Professional Genealogists. All Rights Reserved. AG® used by Professional Genealogists who consistently meet ethical and competency standards in accord with peer-reviewed evaluations every five years.

© Copyright 2009 Heirlines®. All rights reserved.

Sincerely yours,

Mary E. Petty, B.A. (History), B.A. (Genealogy)
Ancestors are the People of History. Do you know who yours are?<br><br>Let the Professionals at HEIRLINES Family History & Genealogy find your ancestry!
1-800-570-4049 ▪ www.heirlines.com ▪ PO Box 893 ▪ Salt Lake City, UT 84110

This thread: