APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-04 > 1239736868

From: Sharon <>
Subject: [APG] Professional Genealogy Opportunities
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 15:21:08 -0400

Hello,

I want to thank APG's president Jake Gehring for his informative message
about the Ancestry Expert Connect discussions with APG. Though I
haven't seen a statement from BCG, my understanding is that BCG is
considering similar issues.

Being able to display such organizational logos is no small thing. They
are the genealogical equivalent of a Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval,
backed by standards and ethics. The design and use of logos has already
been spelled out for the organization as a whole, for chapters, for
promotional material and for members. There are precedents.

In fact during the years that I worked on the APG Professional
Management Conference (PMC) committee, there were several situations
where I was specifically guided in PMC promotions about what was
allowable - for good reason. Others had thought through these issues
very carefully.

Discussions about the state of the profession, particularly education,
standards, ethics, public perception and the history of the profession
should perhaps be more informed by what is really going on - and much
less concerned with theoretical comparisons.

The profession is not only alive and well, but rich in it's own unique
dimensions, growing rapidly from within and without.

Reminders of many education and mentoring opportunities have been
sprinkled throughout messages on this list.

The Boston University Certificate in Genealogical Research program is
just completing the first semester of 14 full day sessions (on
Saturdays), followed by a three week weekday intensive session in June
and will be going online in the fall.

There is something for everyone no matter what your learning style in
the wide range of the genealogy program, study group and mentoring
offerings. Independent scholars have always found their own path and
will continue to do so.

Nor are standards lacking. The more experience I get, the more I
appreciate the vision inherent in the Genealogical Proof Standard, the
many fine works of scholarship and the decades of work done by others.
The body of work is impressive and growing.

The genealogy profession is not a stepchild nor orphaned.

It is a cousin that many other professions are delighted to meet.

Yesterday, I answered a call from the Chair of Legal Studies at another
university, a JD with a Masters in history, asking questions about the
Boston University program. The questions were not whether they wanted to
take the course, but which format logistics would work best with other
considerations, ie the logistics of attending the BU course in June
versus the online offering.

Education and finding aids are being expedited in many other ways.

Mark Tucker's www.thinkgenealogy.com is one example of innovation. Barry
Ewell is launching a new website in May at www.mygenshare.com where I
know you will find more of the fine work Barry has been doing. Dan Lynch
has impressed all the genealogy techies with his new book
www.googleyourfamilytree.com.

We also have veterans "Old Myrt" and Cyndi still lighting the way at
www.dearmyrtle.com and cyndislist.com. The genealogical blog roll has
grown by leaps and bounds.

Family History Expos fhexpos.com now has 10 events scheduled for the
next year in Arizona, California, Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming. These
events have been attracting thousands of researchers and presenters for
several years. Recently they hosted a "Live from the London Fair"
session made possible by Beau Sharbrough and Dick Eastman. Podcasts and
YouTube video components are being added.

Podcasts from George Morgan and Drew Smith at www.genealogyguys.com and
the many video contributors at www.rootstelevision.com have been
creating content for several years.

Genealogy is a profession without borders, full of opportunities for
collaboration and growth whatever color your parachute may be.

The National Council on Public History (www.ncph.org) has suggested a
special blog for discussions between public historians and genealogists
- synergy that can create opportunities throughout many university and
public programs.

I am putting together a action plan proposal for the Massachusetts
Genealogical Council that will specifically address initiatives with
NCPH in Massachusetts and beyond.

The New England APG Chapter is now ably lead by a third generation of
activists. One of the discussion topics at the NERGC conference meeting
will be grant writing opportunities. There is no lack of initiative in
these whippersnappers :)

In the fall, I am doing a two hour workshop for the World Federation of
Jewish Child Survivors of the Holocaust conference to illustrate how the
same genealogical methods that exposed the frauds can be used to tell
the real stories, anchoring the oral histories in the now more readily
accessible records. I am working with social historians and personal
historians on this sensitive subject.

So if you see a need in the profession that isn't filled, then get out
more often. Talk with your colleagues, organize an effort to research
the issues and market need, write an informed proposal for a solution.

These are very exciting times for the profession.

Sharon Sergeant

This thread: