APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-04 > 1240262628

From: "Mark Tucker" <>
Subject: [APG] A Better Way to Cite Online Sources
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 14:23:48 -0700

I feel this topic is important for professional genealogists and that is why
I am posting it here.
Phoenix, AZ - April 20, 2009. Every genealogist and family historian from
beginner to professional will at some time confront the issue of source
citations. Although great advances have been made in recent years to
standardize and simplify citations, it is still too difficult. Today on
ThinkGenealogy.com a video was released that proposes a better way to cite
online sources.
http://www.thinkgenealogy.com/better-online-citations/
This 7.5 minute video consists of two sections. The first section discusses
some of the current issues with citing sources especially when it comes to
online sources. The second section demonstrates an approach to quickly and
accurately cite online sources. The technology needed to accomplish this
exists today. The changes proposed by this video requires collaboration
between various providers of genealogy software and services.
As a genealogy community, we have at times united to get our voices heard in
such areas as records preservation & access, NARA fees, and other topics of
key concern. You are invited to watch the video, provide feedback, and
learn how we can work together to make citing online sources approachable to
all researchers.
About ThinkGenealogy.com
ThinkGenealogy.com is a blog created in July 2007 to discuss ideas and
innovation in genealogy and genealogy software. It was recently recognized
by ProGenealogists, Inc. as one of the 25 Most Popular Genealogy Blogs for
2009. To learn more, visit: www.ThinkGenealogy.com

This thread: