APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-04 > 1240410868

From: Jeanette Daniels <>
Subject: Re: [APG] DNA information needed
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 07:34:28 -0700 (PDT)

Judy,

It depends upon if the company (GeneBase BioNet) allowed its clients to "post" their known pedigree information.  The DNA testing would not pinpoint the exact parents.  I know that I and many other genealogists in Salt Lake City tried to explain to SMGF that they should not be using the Ancestral File as the basis of the genealogies they posted on their website.  SMGF hired graduates from BYU who in turn verified whatever information could be vertified with Ancestry.com census records but didn't worry about the earlier information that was submitted when clients had their DNA tested for genealogical purposes.  The scientific relational results would be correct but when unchecked pedigrees and family group information are added on to the correct information, you might as well throw out the information prior to 1850 or later depending upon the understanding of the researcher who used that for "proof."

Your client doesn't really have "proof" as far as I am concerned.  Until you know where GeneBase BioNet or the poster who claimed that it came from there really got it, you have nothing.

Jeanette