APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-04 > 1240509798

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] A Better Way to Cite Online Sources
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 11:03:18 -0700

Daniela,

Thank you for your comments about the video, but more importantly your efforts to teach students the importance of source citation.

Here are a few points of clarification. I propose:

That the genealogy community (genealogists, family historians, software companies, subscription database sites, etc.) adopt the Evidence Explained citation style for genealogy research
That the major providers of online records (Ancestry, FamilySearch, Footnote, World Vital Records, GenSeek, etc.) start providing EE-style citations for all new records.
That the major providers of online records establish a plan to add EE-style citation to their existing databases.
That the citation be provided as both human-readable text as well as a standard computer-readable file format.
That this file format be defined as a collaborative effort by representatives of the major parties involved.
That this file format supports the level of detail provided by the EE QuickCheck models and allows for additional information such as references to digitized images, transcripts, and association with information such as people, places, dates, and events.
That genealogy software companies add support to their applications to import this file format.
That genealogy software that allows for creation of websites using a researcher's personal database, support the creation of pages that provide links to citation files.

Genealogy software will not write the citations. The providers of the online sources will write the citation using the style defined in EE or related QuickSheets and make that citation available following a standardized file format that genealogy software will read and import.

I would like to take a moment to agree with a comment that Elizabeth Shown Mills made on the TGF list. A better title for my effort would be: "Simplifying Online Source Citations".

Mark Tucker
www.thinkgenealogy.com