APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-04 > 1240529558

From: "LBoswell" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] DNA information needed
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 19:32:38 -0400

My sense of stumbling in the dark was from the point of view of
genealogist's knowledge of DNA as a tool as compared to the knowledge of say
someone expertly trained and versed in the subject in the sciences. Hard
to move on this list without offending someone, unintentionally or
otherwise. Don't read a lot into that phrase. It's also probably how
today's efforts in DNA-Genealogy are going to look to a future researcher.
I suspect we're going to have many more such tools on offer, poached from
other disciplines and the sciences.

My sense was that some work had been done already in the area of DNA and
genealogy,, looking at samples drawn from larger populations, patterns of
migration, surname concentrations and DNA typing, trying to employ some of
the predictive power of statistical analysis (I thought akin to polling
approach). Have you references where statistical analysis has been tried
(DNA-genealogy) or is this your sense of it? The statistical analysis side
of things is of great interest to me, beyond just its possible use as a tool
in analyzing DNA results over a larger population.

One thing about having access to a search engine like Ancestry is that you
can apply filters to narrow a sample down, and then apply different
approaches to it, correlational approach more useful maybe. . I've even
come across some rough attempts predicting the odds of finding uniqueness in
given name-middle name as patterned within and across families in a given
area. Seemed something useful there, it actually seemed to hold up well in
predictive ability. Some of this wouldn't give you any hard evidence, but
maybe expand the comfort level enough to pursue something using traditional
approaches.

long day, hope some of the above is coherent. And inoffensive (but I'm not
troll-shy, so no worries).

Larry