APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-04 > 1241121184

Subject: Re: [APG] Ancestry.com Expert Connect
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 12:53:04 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Thu, 4/30/09, Langdon <> wrote:
> When people want to do look-ups in the
> 1850 census, they go to Ancestry. When they decide that they
> want a quality genealogy, an analysis of the census, or just
> the assurance of knowing that a data base or record has been
> searched well, they hopefully will go to a professional.

Isn't that why Ancestry is providing users with a means to contact professionals?

Since the reputation of Ancestry, whether earned or
> not, is that it suits the needs of those who want to throw
> together a family tree in a few hours, doesn’t it stand to
> reason that genealogists who associate themselves with
> Ancestry will be painted with the same brush?

No, it stands to reason that genealogists who use Ancestry's service recognize the tremendous impact of Ancestry advertising.

IMHO, any
> professional participating in Ancestry’s scheme will be
> damaging his own reputation,
> Membership in APG doesn’t guarantee that a genealogist is
> experienced or good.
> Membership does suggest that members are interested in
> producing quality work.

Does quality work include correct spelling? (I noticed on your web page the question "Can you guarantee that you will find my illusive ancestor?" Why would someone be interested in an imaginary ancestor, I wondered. I decided that it was probably supposed to be "elusive," or evasive. If "innocent" users of Ancestry.com know the difference between those two words, don't you think they can tell the difference between professional quality and slapdash work?)

- Fred Green

This thread: