APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-04 > 1241138237

Subject: Re: [APG] Ancestry.com Expert Connect
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:37:17 EDT

I guess everyone (businesses, organizations and individuals) is fair game
for others to judge, but I'd really prefer we didn't use this forum to bash
businesses, organizations or individuals.

As for the discussion of Ancestry and Expert Connect, I really don't know
the facts about how Ancestry is identifying or recruiting genealogists, so I
reserve judgment. But, let's keep a few things in mind

First, Ancestry is a business, trying to make a profit. They apparently
think they have a business model worth pursuing. As long as they are
operating legally and ethically, I have no problem with that. I'm a bit nervous
about their market share, but they have a right to develop and sell
products. They will be judged based on price and value, just like everyone else.

Second, the Association of Professional Genealogists is a membership
organization that educates both practitioners and consumers about genealogical
standards. It does not credential or accredit genealogists, but other
organizations do, bit hopefully its educational efforts raise consumer awareness
of standards and the member profiles give consumers at least some
information about a genealogist's background A smart consumer will check out the
credentials of the person he/she hires, just as smart consumers might check
out the reputation of an auto mechanic or physician. APG is a good first
place for a consumer to look, but the well-informed consumer might also look
for a genealogist's certifications or accreditations.

Jay Fonkert, CG
Saint Paul, MN

CG (Certified Genealogist) is a service mark of the Board for
Certification of Genealogists, used under license by Board-certified associates after
periodic competency evaluations.

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!