APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-04 > 1241154046

From: Langdon <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Ancestry.com Expert Connect
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 22:00:46 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Thu, 4/30/09, <> wrote:

<...and it would probably depend on how busy a genealogist is with personal clients whether using the Expert Connect service would be advantageous or not. But in these difficult times, it might be the difference of having clients and not having ANY for some researchers.>

Joan,  I agreed with your first message.   Ancestry is a business expense, but can also save some money.  Yes, it could be advantageous to advertise, but 20% of income is an outrageous cost. There are great services on the net that charge $40 per year, which is more in line with what a small business should expect to pay.  When I advertised, I already had a small income from clients I knew I could count on each month for my base income. [I admit I used to worry about what would happen if one of them died! ]  I was also very pleased with the quality of my clients from the service, which was my main concern when I signed up.  I handled my own money.

I once agreed to pay 5% of my income for advertising. That didn’t work out. I ended up paying way too much for what I got.  Fortunately, we had no yearly contract.

Whether one feels Ancestry’s reputation is justified or not is irrelevant. It is what it is. The question is: Is an alliance good for APG, when so many view Ancestry as the antithesis of good genealogy?

Langdon Hagen-Long
Virginia Beach, VA

This thread: