APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-05 > 1241457743

From: * Zimmerman * <>
Subject: [APG] (no subject)
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 12:22:23 -0500

Hello all,

I am a graduate student in Human Development and Family Studies at Iowa State University. I will begin my PhD coursework in September, 2009. My dissertation research will be to conduct a qualitative study, interviewing individuals about their motivations to preserve their own history, or the history of their own family of origin or family of procreation. I am also interested in how preserving this information contributes to an individual's sense of identity.

I have two questions:

1) Is there a term that captures what I am looking to study more precisely than "family history," because I want to focus on people's efforts to record experiences that they or their immediate family members experience, rather than collecting stories or information about ancestors from 100+ years ago.

2) Can you recommend any professor that I might approach to be on my dissertation committee? There are no faculty within my department that can claim family history as a specialization.

I guess I have a third request -- if anyone can point me to any literature related to my dissertation idea that I could look at for my review of the literature, that would be very helpful.

Cheers,

Kevin Zimmerman