APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-05 > 1241546310

From: Langdon <>
Subject: Re: [APG] ship list 1920 Norfolk VA
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 10:58:30 -0700 (PDT)

Debbie,
You might check with the Portsmouth Navy Shipyard Museum.

The Portsmouth Navy Shipyard Museum has a small archive on the second floor, available only by appointment.  I’ve heard the claim that if a ship came into Norfolk or Portsmouth, they have a record of it. I doubt this is true, but they are an extraordinary resource. You can consult the archivist or make an appointment by calling:
757-393-8591

Portsmouth Navy Shipyard Museum
2 High Street, Portsmouth VA 23704

You might also try the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Norfolk, founded about 1911, to see if they have a church historian, or someone who recorded Greek passengers. Most ports had organizations to welcome new arrivals, which were frequently organized around a common ountry of origin, or religion.
Cathedral:  (757) 440-0500.

Good luck.
Langdon Hagen-Long

VA Beach, VA