APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-05 > 1241704597

From: "Gladys Paulin" <>
Subject: [APG] ship list 1920 Norfolk VA
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 09:56:37 -0400

Debbie,
After scouring all my notes and files on immigration records, I learned
there were INS records for Norfolk, but not where they could be located, so
I wrote to the USCIS senior historian for help. This was her answer:

"The 20 reels (Incoming Passenger Manifests, P 1, 1/1/1902 to P 20,
11/6/1954)[were] transferred from INS to NARA. NARA has not published them,
but they are likely among the unpublished reels (copies) Ancestry.com
recently acquired from NARA.

One can try to access them by writing to NARA, Civil Reference, 7th & Penna
Ave NW, Washington, DC 20408, Attn. RG 85. Include a copy of that
certificate of arrival, since it should make it easy for them to pull the
record. I'm never sure if NARA actually satisfies such requests or not--I
can't speak for them. I know you have to provide the specific information
(port, date, ship)."

I would try writing directly before spending $25 to file NATF81 since there
is no publication number to reference and I wouldn't like to get back a
clerk's response that it could not be found.

Hope this helps.
Gladys

Gladys Friedman Paulin, CG
Winter Springs, FL
http://genealogybygladys.com
CG, Certified Genealogist, is a service mark of the Board for Certification
of Genealogists and is used under license by Board-certified persons who
meet program standards and periodic rigorous evaluations.

Member, Association of Professional Genealogists (APG)

Message: 1