APG-L ArchivesArchiver > APG > 2009-05 > 1241796093
From: "Dee Dee King,Certified Genealogist" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Could APG do more?
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 08:21:33 -0700 (PDT)
Over the past few years there has been a tremendous focus on advancing the academic side of professional genealogy. Everyone has benefitted from that - the practitioner, whether career or avocation, and the public.
The commercial side of genealogy is exploding. We need to devote the same focus, energy, and commitment to this side of professional genealogy. We need the same qualities of leadership for this side of professional genealogy.
APG is a business league, as defined by its articles of incorporation (1), its bylaws (2), and its special tax exempt status(3) granted by IRS. What I take away from all these discussions, both on the list and within my professional circles, is that we are ready to devote the same focus, energy and commitment to the commercial side as we have devoted to the academic side.
(1)abstracted from APG Articles of Incorporation, amended 3 Oct 1979, on file at the Utah Department of Commerce:
Article IV: *Purposes*
1) To promote awareness of, and interest in, genealogy, family history and local history as a profession.
2) To support education and professional training in genealogy, family history and local history.
3) To cooperate with record repositories to insure continued access to records for professional use.
4) To promote the locating, preservation, compilation, interpretation, and indexing of historical and current records.
5) To promote public and professional awareness of laws which may affect the preservation or accessibility of records, and to effect changes in those laws where appropriate.
6) To protect the public interest by disseminating information concerning the activities and services of the profession.
7) To encourage professional genealogists to maintain high standards in ethics, research techniques, and business practices through accreditation or other means.
8) To inform professionals regarding career opportunities and to maintain a professional job registry.
9) To engage in other appropriate activities which result in improvement of business conditions in the profession and other aspects of the field of genealogy, family history and local history as a whole. The Association will not perform particular services for individual persons.
10) No part of the net earnings of said Association will inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual. The Association is not organized for profit or to engage in any activity ordinarily carried on for profit. The Association is organized under the IRS code 501 (c) (6) as a business league.
Dee Dee King, Certified Genealogist (sm), Certificate 903
PO Box 1085
Manvel TX 77578
Forensic Genealogy Services is the Service Mark of Forensic Genealogy Services, LLC. Certified Genealogist (CG) is a service mark (sm) of the board for Certification of Genealogists® conferred to associates who consistently meet ethical and competency standards in accord with peer-reviewed evaluations every five years.