APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-05 > 1241800544

From: "Mary E. Petty - Heirlines, Inc" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Profession and "Consumer Protection"
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 10:35:44 -0600

Dear Elizabeth,

Genealogy is in the process of professionalization as you so ably pointed out. It is not an overnight thing. Wonderful advancements have been made, including the establishment of the BCG and ICAPGen and the significant growth of their competency programs. And with the coming of that essential pillar of an established profession, formal education - teaching the specialized knowledge and training in the specialized skills, the goal that Michael Hait described "ultimately the market dominance of _responsible_ and _ethical_ genealogy and the protection of the consumer --the consumer, the practitioner and the outcomes" will be more available and reachable. There is a bright future in Professional Genealogy.

Sincerely yours,

Mary E. Petty, B.A. (History), B.A. (Genealogy)
APG Member
Ancestors are the People of History. Do you know who yours are?<br><br>Let the Professionals at HEIRLINES Family History & Genealogy find your ancestry!
1-800-570-4049 ▪ www.heirlines.com ▪ PO Box 893 ▪ Salt Lake City, UT 84110