APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-06 > 1244035082

From: Michael Hait <>
Subject: [APG] Charging clients for digital images?
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 09:18:02 -0400

I wanted to take a poll of the professionals here, to see what the popular opinion is.

When making photocopies of books or records, or prints from microfilm, etc., it is obviously proper to charge the client for the cost. However, how do you handle images saved/downloaded from online sources, for example, census images or service records, etc., from Ancestry or Footnote? I hold subscriptions to 4 major online records providers, which comes out of my overhead costs, but I was wondering if it was proper to apply a small charge for records that I locate on these services for clients?

Thanks in advance for your opinions/advice.

Michael Hait
http://www.haitfamilyresearch.com
Author, The Family History Research Toolkit
Instructor, "African-American Genealogy", GenClass
Administrator, Prince George's Co., Maryland, Genealogy Trails
Master Editor, Civil War Book, Albany Hilltowns Group
Follow me on Twitter: @michaelhait