APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-06 > 1244421134

From: Steve Gauss <>
Subject: Re: [APG] newspaperarchive.com?
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 20:32:14 -0400

There are at least three major sources of historical newspapers and
they are available through many libraries and societies:
newspaperarchive.com, also called Access Newspaper Archive
19th Century US Newspapers from Gale/Infotrac
Newsbank is also known as Early American Newspapers

The last is also sold to the public as genealogybank.com. The first
two are somewhat limited in scope, as earlier mentioned, both
geographically and in time. For example, they may claim to cover the
whole century, but for a given town may have only a few years.
Newsbank consists of at least 5 or 6 series and I find that not
everyone carries all of them. However, genealogybank.com does include
all of the series.

For example, NEHGS has all three of the above, but only series I from Newsbank.

I have found a subscription to genealogybank to be very useful; my
ancestor was a coastal trader in the early 1800's and I have followed
his comings and goings in the shipping news.

Of course, there are also the major newspapers from Proquest: the
Historical New York Times, Boston Globe, Washington Post, etc. that
are hard to come by. Your local library may have the NY Times and the
major newspaper of your nearby major city, but not the whole set.

Stephen Gauss

This thread: