APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-06 > 1244489004

From: "Kate Foote" <>
Subject: [APG] Ingleside Asylun, Hastings, Nebraska
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 14:23:24 -0500

I am forwarding this with the permission of Mona Knight, Coordinator - IAGenWeb, Appanoose County. This is good news for anyone researching Nebraska ancestors.

Regards,
Kate

>From the Iowa - Rootsweb Mail list:

A librarian friend of mine in Iowa sent me an interesting article about a recent court decision that will allow for the release of the names and death dates (or burials) of about 1,000 people who were former "inmates" in the Ingleside Asylum in Hastings, Nebraska. These burials took place between approximately 1889 and 1957, and the graves were marked only with a number. Prior to the court ruling, the State of Nebraska disallowed any release of information without a lengthy court process and a cost of more than $1,000 in fees, etc. to figure out of an ancestor was buried there.

While not buried there, my great-grandmother was at Ingleside for a time due to "melancholy" when she was quite elderly.

This release of information is a great boon for genealogists and those who wondered what happened to their ancestors. As most of us who do family research know, so-called "asylums" often housed people that had no family to care for them, or just lost souls that the family didn't want to deal with. I have read more than one article over the years telling how women were put into an asylum if their husband didn't want them any more and perhaps had found a new woman, or orphans who had no other place to go.

As far as I have been able to determine, the following states have released such records which can be researched: Wisconsin, South Carolina, Maine, Minnesota, Texas and now Nebraska. Sometimes, lists of "inmates" can be found in census records, thus identifying an ancestor who may have been housed in one of these institutions.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Mona Sarratt Knight
Coordinator - IAGenWeb, Appanoose County
http://iagenweb.org/appanoose/
send e-mail to:

This thread: