APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-06 > 1244507106

From: <>
Subject: Re: [APG] 1910 census help...
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 19:25:06 -0500

Kate, you're looking at annotations added by clerks at the Census Bureau in
prep for statistical computations. Many pieces of data on the census line
were coded with numbers that represented a certain "fact." The numbers were
then transferred to punch-cards for statistical sorting. The results were
then used in the statistical compendium for that census, which defined
patterns of migration, education, home ownership, infirmities, etc.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
APG member, Tennessee