APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-06 > 1244562827

From: "Melissa Barker" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] 1910 census help...
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 10:53:47 -0500

Kate and Elizabeth,

I have been following this thread with much interest. Over the years I have
come to understand that the odd and various markings on census records were
made by clerks, enumerators, etc. However, with the information Elizabeth
just gave, a thought comes to mind.

Has anyone done a study about these markings and published the findings? If
these markings translated into "patters of migration, education, home
ownership, infirmities, etc." as Elizabeth suggests, wouldn't that be
something interesting and maybe even pertinent to our research? Although
they may not translate into specific information pertaining to our specific
ancestors, I can still the usefulness of the information in general
genealogy study.

Does anyone know of any publications available on this specific subject? If
not, I think such a publication would be a great asset to the genealogy
community, hint, hint Elizabeth :)

Sincerely,
Melissa Barker
Genealogist for Tennessee and Kentucky