APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-06 > 1244850571

From: <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Fw: What is a "Prodecy"? (1910 census of Pulaski Co., KY)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 18:49:31 -0500

Richard, I suspect the census taker meant to say "Progeny" -- i.e.,
offspring. The word, of course, is typically used for genetic offspring.
The fact that the first census taker identified George-the-child as an
*adopted* son, while this census taker--in recording the 21-year-old George
who is still in the household--chose to use an unauthorized term and one
that is not in everyday use makes me wonder if the census taker wasn't
trying to record for posterity a bit of "public knowledge" that the family
wasn't publicly acknowledging.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
APG member, Tennessee

> Alvie,
>
> I recognize that the word likely was intended to be "Prodigy" but my
> question is how this might relate to "relationship to the head of
> household." Is there some meaning beyond the one you give?
>
> Richard

This thread: