APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-06 > 1245538936

From: "Richard A. Pence" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Identity theft, etc
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 19:02:16 -0400

"Bonnie Kohler" <> wrote:

> I think the main issue is privacy. Some people are fussy about having
> their
> private information put in print or otherwise revealed. Someone on this
> list, a while back, said he would not publish anything about a living
> person
> without their signed consent.

And he or she no doubt keeps the hall light burning to keep the goblins away
at night.

While there are plenty of folks who will get upset if you use personal
information on them (and I try not to put data about living people on line
for that reason alone), I doubt - even though Donn D. says there is a
issue - "privacy rights" can prevent publishing of vital data.

The fact is that much more than you will ever know about Cousin Clara's
family is already well known to the computer numbers crunchers and data
storers. I read recently that Google alone knows more about you than your
own mother!

And the advice given in another book about how computers are changing our
lives is this: "If you are worried about what the world of computers knows
about you, get over it." It's already too late.

The National Genealogical Society has some guidelines on this topic for
those interested. I think they go far beyond what is necessary, but it can't
hurt anyone to know what they are. Go to www.ngsgenealogy.com/ and look for
their "Standards" section.

Richard P.
Fairfax