APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-06 > 1245723994-01

From: <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Religious Institutions of Learning
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 21:26:34 -0500

Larry wrote:
>Seems strange to me to find myself any defending religious affiliated
university offerings (because I'm as non-religious as it's possible to get),

but correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Samford University a private Baptist
affiliated university? No one seems to be claiming their genealogical
programs are influenced by Baptist doctrine.
>Why is it that religious affiliated (and accredited) universities are among

the first (in the US, not the case in the UK) to offer these programs?

Larry, I can't speak for other institutions, but insofar as Samford goes,
there was no religious motivation at all. IGHR, NIGR, BCG, and the
Accredited Genealogist program that was originally administered by the
Family History Library were all offspring of the American Society of
Genealogists, whose members were of all suasions but were, first and
foremost, dedicated to the tenets of genealogical scholarship. All these
programs were born of a desire to instill excellence in the field and ensure
ethical performance among professionals.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
APG member, Tennessee

This thread: