APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-06 > 1245773649

From: Jordan Jones <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Help with WWII draft card
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:14:09 -0400

Hi Catherine --

If you search Ancestry with a name, you may get a URL for the WWII cards
with a name embedded in it, for example:

http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=View&r=an&dbid=1002&iid=WV-2240139-1521&fn=Kenner+B&ln=Jones&st=r&ssrc=&pid=640400

The names do not really matter in terms of retrieving the image, and seem to
only be used to create a label above the image to orient you. So the URL
with those names made generic still works:

http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=View&r=an&dbid=1002&iid=WV-2240139-1521&fn=First+Middle&ln=Surname&st=r&ssrc=&pid=640400

Also, for whatever reason, probably because the original serial numbers end
up not being unique, Ancestry appears to have created their own numbers for
the records, instead of using the serial numbers.

The above example for Kenner B. Jones, has a serial number on the card of
914. However, Ancestry refers to this card as WV-2240139-1521.

The rest of the URL appears to be only of use to Ancestry, and is not needed
to retrieve the image.

So, to see both of Kenner B. Jones's images, you could truncate the URL
after the record identifier, and then increment the record identifier by 1
(from WV-2240139-1521 to WV-2240139-1522):

http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=View&r=an&dbid=1002&iid=WV-2240139-1521

and

http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=View&r=an&dbid=1002&iid=WV-2240139-1522

Sometimes, the cards were filmed twice in sequence, but you can continue
incrementing the last number to get past this.

For example, the front of Kenner B. Jones's card is on Ancestry both as

http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=View&r=an&dbid=1002&iid=WV-2240139-1520

and as:

http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=View&r=an&dbid=1002&iid=WV-2240139-1521

you can see from the negative marks (1516 and 1517) that these are indeed
separate images on the microfilm.

Hope that helps,

Jordan Jones
APG Member, North Carolina