APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-06 > 1245810264

From: <>
Subject: Re: [APG] bond
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 21:24:24 -0500

Kathy wrote:
> the bond only specifies that Levina Jones and Alexander Carrell promise
not to become dependants of Sampson County [North Carolina] taxpayers (the
poor funds). Levina Jones is named first and she signs first. There is a
possibility that Alexander Carrell's role is as Levina's security on the
bond. For sure, something about Levina Jones's behavior or financial
situation has caused a red flag to run up among the county court officials.

Kathy's interpretation is also mine, except that I'd be less tentative about
Carrell's role. In every situation I've seen in which two individuals signed
a bond, the first was the party whose need prompted the bond and the second
was that person's surety--the one who promised to pay the sum of that bond
if she violated conditions and could not pay.

If I were Mag's friend, I'd focus my research for a while on Alexander
Carrell. People did not financially obligate themselves for someone else
they barely knew or cared nothing about. There are strong ties of some type
between Levina and Alexander.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
APG member, Tennessee