APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-06 > 1245880624

From: Kathy Gunter Sullivan <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Understanding a bond
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:57:04 -0400

For those interested in the query about a Sampson County, North
Carolina, bond.

The serious circumstances surrounding the execution of a bond is very
definitely association/personal regard evidence among the parties, and
cannot be dismissed as irrelevant to a "family tree."

In Mag's post (APG-L (23 June 2009,
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/APG/2009-06/1245777606),
she states she has the original document. That day, she shared a very
clear scan with me, and the abstract is correct.

The researcher's surname of interest is the Carrell family, and the
concern is why was Alexander Carrell on this bond, and what exactly does
this bond represent? Levina Jones is an unknown party to these
particular Carrell researchers. Their thinking was that it was either a
marriage bond [No] or an administration bond [No].

Briefly, I shared some ideas with Mag about situations the bond could
reflect and some suggestions (read the county court minutes, read the
records of the Wardens of the Poor, read the county's loose civil and
criminal action papers).

The strict settlement prohibitions of England and New England don't
apply to North Carolina. However, North Carolina county courts were
obligated to protect its taxpayers from expenses created by itinerants
or careless behavior, but it wasn't a heartless system.

In Lincoln County, North Carolina, a man deemed an itinerant abandoned
his children. There was a debate about what to do with the children as
they were not entitled to any taxpayer-supplied Poor Fund benefits. The
children were accepted into the Poor House. An elderly woman with no
means of support was ordered to be returned to her original county of
residence. She was escorted there by a constable at taxpayer expense.
The other county officials refused her (claiming no record of taxes
paid), and no individual citizen was found in that county willing to
assume the obligation, so she was brought back and given residence in
the Lincoln County Poor House. I can't speak for actions occurring in
every North Carolina county, but these are incidents that I recall from
having transcribed the Lincoln County, North Carolina, Court of Pleas
and Quarter Sessions 1779-1822 and the Proceedings of the Lincoln
County, North Carolina, Wardens of the Poor 1820-1868.

Mag, who made the original post, has probably moved along by now to
another mailing list!

Kathy

Kathy Gunter Sullivan, CG
APG Member