APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-06 > 1246027452

From: "LBoswell" <>
Subject: [APG] genealogical theory
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:44:12 -0400

Because the whole area of a theoretical base for genealogy (beyond
discussions of genealogical methodology) has not been greatly explored, I
thought that maybe it's time that a forum be developed where wide ranging
discussions could take place without restrictions. The APG list has
explored this subject in interesting ways, but maybe a specialized forum
would be a more productive venue for this kind of discussion. I thought
maybe it would be worth creating a yahoo group.

Group name: theorygen
Group home page: http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/theorygen
Group email:

Anyone who as any interest in this is welcome to join in. Civil tone only,
debate ideas not the person (and that's the approach I will take myself, on
that forum and on this list in future). The area of theory is one that has
great potential for the future of genealogy. Many of the areas that will be
discussed will not likely have any direct practical application to family
history methods, or genealogy research in general. The first thing I'd like
to develop is a list of possible areas that could be explored. My own
interest is in statistical analysis, using a demographic model, but
anything even vaguely within the area of theory is fair game. The area is
not clearly defined, so that might be the first step to consider.

I'm posting this here because there has been some interest shown by some
members of this list and suggestions that creating a forum for this subject
might be a good idia. This is a once only post on this list. If you want
to pass this along, feel free to do so. Further information, contact me off
list

Larry

This thread: