APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-06 > 1246401940

From: Craig Kilby <>
Subject: [APG] Request to verify Family history
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 18:45:40 -0400

I agree with all the replies and advice given on this topic. I think
Myra's reply sums up my thinking best of all. Oh, that big check
being dangled in front of you may be tempting, but do not eat that
apple! You will be very sorry if you do. The time frame is indeed
ridiculous. It is beyond ridiculous and impossible even you never
slept for 24 hours a day and had absolutely nothing else to do.

This person does not want verification, they want validation, and to
get that want to tack your name as the source and font of all
knowledge. Don't fall for this.

I would not care one whit about offending this potential client. The
client either wants the work done right, or not done at all. It is by
no means "offensive" to tell him/her what you thinkg about the
problem and the time frame being imposed.

Perhaps they will get the picture and perhaps they will not. What you
certainly do NOT want is your name attached as the person who says
all this famous ancestry is in fact real. 100-1 chance most of it is
completely manufacted. Of course I do not know that, but if this
question were on the table in Las Vegas, I'd bet a lot money on it.

Run, don't walk, away from this one--or get this person educated as
to just what it is they need to do and how you will do it, and not
jump to their outrageous demands and completely unrealistic
expectations.

Craig Kilby

On Jun 30, 2009, at 6:03 PM, wrote:

> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 09:09:51 -0700
> From: "Myra Vanderpool Gormley" <>
> Subject: Re: [APG] Request to verify family history
> To: "Mara Fein" <>, <>
>
> It has been my experience that "celebrities" -- in general -- are
> among the
> most difficult of clients. They want what they want and are willing
> to pay
> for it, but they are not interested in genealogical truth.
>
> The way I see it is that no real genealogical research has been
> done in this
> instance and the 40- to 60-day deadline is ridiculous.
>
> There have been some excellent advice and comments posted and you'd
> be wise
> to heed them. Obviously several of us have been down this thorny path
> before.
>
> Myra Vanderpool Gormley, CG

This thread: