APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-07 > 1246915005

From: "Mary E. Petty - Heirlines, Inc" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Non Profession to Profession by 2020 with real Expertsand Professionals in Genealogy
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 15:16:45 -0600

Dear Adrian and all ,

Currently there are two ways to professionalize in America - by Government License and Self Regulated Profession. Both of them are formal with the highest level being licensed by the state. Professional Genealogy is capable of self regulation but this would entail all attributes that a licensed profession has, except for the license.

A profession is an academic discipline with specialized knowledge and training and credentialing that scholars of the study of professions say establishes an exclusive or protected jurisdiction over an occupation (i.e.: work- commercial - economic ,professional, status, $) that prevents and prohibits those without credentials) derived from that specialized education, training, and experience (amateurs), from practicing the professionally designated occupations (i.e.: work- commercial - economic ,professional, status, $). Amateurs are controlled by public opinion brought about

The qualified genealogy practitioner, like the medical practitioner MD: is first qualified to do medicine and be a medical practitioner because of their specialized knowledge and training and to participate and acquire professional experience to enable them to test in qualified practitioner's only competency credentialing, participate in continuing education for maintaining such qualified members-only competency credentialing, do pro bono work as a professional, teach, write, lecture and so on for the benefit of the profession, the practitioner and the consumer.

First you have to have professional education and training then comes the qualified experience for credentialing for members and then qualified continuing education taught by real practitioners to maintain the competency. Other professions are doing this; so can we in Professional Genealogy Research Services. This is my dream.

Sincerely yours,

Mary E. Petty, B.A. (History), B.A. (Genealogy)
APG Member Salt Lake Utah and National
Ancestors are the People of History. Do you know who yours are?<br><br>Let the Professionals at HEIRLINES Family History & Genealogy find your ancestry!
1-800-570-4049 ▪ www.heirlines.com ▪ PO Box 893 ▪ Salt Lake City, UT 84110
© 2009, Heirlines Family History & Genealogy, Inc. All