APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-07 > 1246926049

Subject: Re: [APG] Non Profession to Profession by 2020 with real ExpertsandProfessio...
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 20:20:49 EDT

I agree with Elizabeth and Larry. We need to walk before we run. We need
a considerable expansion of degree-level genealogical education before we
can even talk about licensing. But, I hope we expand the BCG
performance-based model before we go head over heels for degrees based heavily on
seat-time (yes, I know the two are not completely mutually exclusive). Genealogy
needs to keep room for adult-learners who come to the field later in life
with skills honed in other fields. Look at the average age of students at
Samford or the Salt Lake Institute!

Jay Fonkert, CG
Saint Paul, MN

In a message dated 7/6/2009 7:02:54 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
writes:

Larry wrote:
>I think the establishment of an academic discipline for this field is of
greater importance, a discipline with a greatly expanded range of interest
beyond just producing and training of 'professional genealogists'. A
concentration on method, credentialing, and the needs of a 'practicing'
profession alone won't cut it.

I totally agree with Larry--on both statements.

First, the kind of regulated profession that Mary and Jeanette call for,
by their own criteria, includes education. Yet, without far more widely
available educational opportunities, we cannot set up any "entrance criteria"
that requires academic degrees in genealogy.

Second, any genealogical degree program that focused on just "method,
credentialing, and the needs of a 'practicing' profession" would amount to a
trade-school diploma rather than a professional degree. On this list,
however, there seems to be widespread acknowledgment that sound genealogical
conclusions rest on far more than a technical or trade-school perspective. Any
degree program in genealogy should be an interdisciplinary program that
provides solid grounding in a number of fields--starting with economics,
genetics, geography, history, and law.

On the second point, I think Mary and Jeanette both agree, considering
that the college the Pettys and Danielses have launched in Salt Lake does
offer basic courses in areas such as history.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
APG member, Tennessee

.

body of the message

Jay Fonkert, CG
Saint Paul, MN

CG (Certified Genealogist) is a service mark of the Board for
Certification of Genealogists, used under license by Board-certified associates after
periodic competency evaluations.

Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377077x1201454398/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jul
yExcfooterNO62)