APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2009-08 > 1249249224

From: <>
Subject: [APG] FW: Proper citation for UK census
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 16:40:24 -0500

Cynthia wrote:
>I would like some help on proper citation of a census from England. I'm
using Ancestry for the image and source citation. The particular year for
this example is 1861, but I am seeking a template that might be utilized for
the multitude of census years (including 1911 which is available through
alternate source).

Harold wrote:

>Serendipity! The current (June) issue of the National Genealogical Society
Quarterly includes a full citation to an 1841 English census entry on page
122, which may be helpful, bearing in mind the differences between the 1841
and 1861 censuses.

Cynthia, _Evidence Explained_ has several examples of citing census returns
of England and Wales across the years, accessed through several means. The
1841 and 1851 examples at EE 6.51 (pp. 302-3) are what NGSQ used for the
1841 citation that Harold references. (Sorry I didn't do 1861 explicitly. :)

When you cite Ancestry's census images--whether they are from the US, UK,
Canada, France, or wherever--you have three things to identify.
- the original census;
- the microfilm from which Ancestry created the image;
- the Ancestry website.

A citation to images at the Ancestry website will be the same regardless of
what kind of image you are citing. It's just a basic citation to Ancestry's
website--i.e.,

.... "[name of Ancestry collection or database]," _Ancestry.com_
(http://ancestry.com : accessed _______).

In the case of the census you are using, Ancestry identifies its microfilm
as FHL film and gives you the film number. Beyond that, the database page at
which Ancestry provides a typed abstract of the household data gives you
*most* of the information you need for the citation (although you have to
piece it together in proper order). It tells you what each place name
represents, it tells you where the original record is housed (The National
Archives of the UK), and it gives you the document identification in that
repository (Record Group 9, piece 249, folio 5, page 4. Ancestry's citation
*does" omit the "class" or "catalog reference code" (HO), whose inclusion is
recommended by the Public Record Office division of The National Archives,
UK, when citing its records.

Applying the 1841 citation model at EE 6.51, you'd get the following for
your first (full) reference note.

1. 1861 census of England, Middlesex, Shoreditch, Haggerstone East,
Haggerstone St. Mary, folio 5, page 4, household 16, William Loe; PRO HO 9
/249, The National Archives, Kew, Surrey, UK; via Family History microfilm
542,590; imaged in the database "1861 England Census," _Ancestry.com_
(www.ancestry.com : 2 August 2009).

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
APG member, Tennessee