AR-CIVIL-WAR-L Archives

Archiver > AR-CIVIL-WAR > 2009-03 > 1236130888

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [AR-CIVIL-WAR] Found on Headstone: Bryant S Co 1 ARK Regt
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 01:41:28 -0000

Author: JanaJordanShaw
Surnames: Smith, Jordan, Patton, Gibbs, Matthews
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/topics.Military.united-20-states.civwar.uscwar.civilwar/862.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Becky,

Bryant could be the "name" of the regiment which is derived from various nouns -- a place, a person (could be an officer), etc.

There is a depository of Civil War information and documentation in Hillsboro, Texas. It sounds crazy, but a small college - Hill College there has a vast amount of Civil War information.

One thing you might remember. My gg grandfather was a pow in the civil war and in the family bible and on his headstone states him belonging to a certain unit, but when my cousin contacted Hill College for more information, they found he was in a totally different unit and gave us that information. We thought maybe he was in both, but when we went and talked with the experts at Hill College, they stated no. Do I take that as a definitive answer? Heck no, but it sure raises some questions!

Good luck with your search!
Jana

Important Note: