ARFULTON-L Archives

Archiver > ARFULTON > 2006-02 > 1141140524

From: Dorothy Boynton <>
Subject: RE: [ARFULTON] Fountain, Watson
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 07:28:44 -0800 (PST)

radavis <> wrote:
I found the following:
1880 U. S. Federal Census, Big Creek, Fulton County, AR
J. Fountain, age 38, farmer, born Illinois, father Kentucky, mother Illinois
H. E. Fountain, age 28, wife, born Tennessee, father North Carolina, mother
North Carolina
J. V. Fountain, age 7, son, born Arkansas
I. Fountain, age 4, daughter, born Arkansas
R. J. Fountain, age 1, dauther, born ArkansaH

Hope this helps.

Could someone send that information from the AR history book that named the parents of the John R. Fountain husband of Leona Belle Watson? I know you sent it but I somehow did not save the note.

_____
I thought I had found this same family for the 1900 census in Jackson County, Jefferson Township. But I can't make things add up.

Jessie Fountain, age 59, with wife Harriet E. Fountain, age 49. Children listed are Jessie, son, born July 1882, age 17
LaBaka, daughter, born Nov 1880, age 19
William R., son, born Nov 1884, age 15

As you can see the ages of the children just do NOT add up nor do the names.

I thought this man Jessie Fountain was probably the son of Edward and Sarah Taylor Fountain.

EDWARD FOUNTAIN
Land Office: BATESVILLE
Document Number: 18523
Total Acres: 40
Signature: Yes
Canceled Document: No
Issue Date: October 01, 1860
Mineral Rights Reserved: No
Metes and Bounds: No
Statutory Reference: 3 Stat. 566
Multiple Warantee Names: No
Act or Treaty: April 24, 1820
Multiple Patentee Names: No
Entry Classification: Sale-Cash Entries
Land Description: 1 SWSW 5TH PM No 20N 11W 27
_____
EDWARD FOUNTAIN
Land Office: BATESVILLE
Document Number: 13354
Total Acres: 80
Signature: Yes
Canceled Document: No
Issue Date: September 01, 1860
Mineral Rights Reserved: No
Metes and Bounds: No
Statutory Reference: 3 Stat. 566
Multiple Warantee Names: No
Act or Treaty: April 24, 1820
Multiple Patentee Names: No
Entry Classification: Sale-Cash Entries
Land Description: 1 SWNW 5TH PM No 20N 11W 27
2 NWSW 5TH PM No 20N 11W 27
_____
This could potentially be the parents of James/John (supposed father of John
R. FOUNTAIN who married Leona Belle Watson)
1860 U.S. Census AR, Fulton Co., Bennetts Bayou
Post Off: Bennetts River 4Jul1860 by John Simpson
Ln 35
508/53
Edward FOUNTAIN 45<1815>m Fmr 800/525 IL
Sarah FOUNTAIN 38<1822>f IL
Jesse FOUNTAIN 19<1841>m FmLbr IL
James FOUNTAIN 18<1842>m FmLbr IL
Mary FOUNTAIN 13<1847>f AR
Joseph FOUNTAIN 8<1852>m AR
William FOUNTAIN 6<1854>m AR
Edward FOUNTAIN 4<1856>m AR
Rebecca FOUNTAIN 3<1857>f AR
Herpel FOUNTAIN 3/12<1860>m AR
{Kuzhil on index}
_____
Husband
Edward FOUNTAIN
Birth: About 1817 , , Kentucky
Marriage: About 1840 , , Illinois
Wife
Sarah

Children

1. Hasy FOUNTAIN
Female
Birth: About 1847 , , Arkansas

_______
There is a marriage record of an Edward Fountain and Cora Thompson in 28 OCt 1900 in Fulton Co. Have no idea who that was. CAN YOU IDENTIFY THESE PEOPLE?
_____
Marriage Records for reference:

Mary Etta Cooper
Spouse: Edward Jefferson Fountain F: Unknown

M: Unknown
Birth: Feb 1877 - AR, USA
Death: 1958 - Gilmer, Upshur, TX, USA
Edward Fontaine
[Edward Fountain]
Spouse: Sarah Jane Caldwell F: Matthew Maury Fontaine

Matthew Maury Fontaine is the son of Joseph and Mary Polly Goode Fontaine and found in Arkansas in Hemstead County. So FAR I have not been able to connect these people as one family and they do have different spellings but similair so they may well be connected.

M: Rachel Wallace
Birth: 17 Apr 1838 - Ozan, Hempstead, AR, USA
Death: 19 Apr 1888 - Blackland, Howard, AR, USA
Marriage: 16 Dec 1858 - Hempstead, AR, USA
Edward Fountain
Spouse: May Circles F: Edward Jefferson Fountain

M: Mary Etta Cooper
Birth: May
_____

I am still looking for the Fountain male who married Sarah L. Adams in or around Fulton Co., AR. For the 1880 census she is shown as widow and has three Fountain named children in the family listed as her sons and daughter but I believe some of them were niece or nephew and NOT actually her children.

There would be several Sarah Fountains in the area. Edward Fountain married Sarah Taylor and their family is found in 1860.

Sarah Lavina Culp married Joseph Fountain and thus another Sarah Fountain.

Sarah L. Adams married Unknown Fountain for a third Sarah Fountian.

Also I am NOT certain that the Sarah L. Fountain could NOT be the Sarah Lavania Culp Fountain instead of Sarah L. Adams Fountain. The Sarah Taylor would be the older person but the other two Sarah's were about the same age and may have become sister-in-laws. I believe the Sarah Adams married a John Fountain but I cannot place him as a brother to Jospah Fountain, husband of Sarah Culp, unless he was named James John or John James or James and called John or that I have his given name wrong and it was not John but rather James.

I need help - please.
db

This thread: